11-17 year olds, girls & boys (English Level: Elementary to Advanced)
Whitgift English in Action Summer Courses are unique English summer programme, combining English Skills lessons with English in Action, where students use English while learning new skills, such as presenting, debating, public speaking and engaging in fun entrepreneurial activities.
Students’ English level is assessed through an online test before they arrive, by which they will be placed in classes with students of similar age and ability, to make sure that the students are in a group most suited to their ability level.
Students receive 23 hours of English lessons per week, which combines morning English Skills lessons with afternoon English in Action lessons. There are two course options General English Skills and English Exam Skills, focusing on different English Skills, which students can choose at the time of booking.
- General English Skills: Lessons aim to develop students’ reading, writing, speaking and listening skills alongside their knowledge of grammar, vocabulary and pronunciation. Lessons are linked thematically to the planned excursions students undertake throughout the course and elements of British Culture and Literature are embedded into the syllabus.
- English Exam Skills: Exam Skills students study separately from the General English Skills students for 5 hours each week with a specific focus on developing study skills and exam techniques. This course is beneficial for any student who is studying for a specific international English exam such as PET, FCE, CAE, TOEFL, TOEIC or IELTS. It will also benefit students who want to improve their performance in school-based English exams.
- English in Action: Both above two courses combine English language lessons with English in Action programme. The middle school students (11-14 years) will have a focus on life and social skills, and be taught presentation techniques and work on tasks focusing on communication and teamwork skills. Students in the senior school (14-17 years) will have an emphasis on life and business skills. Besides acquiring presentation and debating competence, students will undertake fun and exciting entrepreneurial activities.
In addition, learning outside the classroom through a wide variety of specialist Academies & Activities Programme as well as interaction with local English students are also vital parts of the experience. All students will have opportunity to interact with local English students of a similar age, who arrive at the school at lunch-time each day and take part in English in Action classes, afternoon activities/academies and evening activities as well as having lunch and dinner with the international students. Interacting with English native speakers greatly accelerates the English learning process, makes it more meaningful and leads to potentially long-lasting friendships.
English in Action Summer Courses consist of a well-balanced programme of English tuition, activities, sports and excursions. The weekly programme includes:
- 23 hours of English lessons per week
- Interaction with local English private school student hosts
- Full afternoon, evening and weekend sports and activity programme
- Sports and Creative Academies and Multi Activities, with four 90-minute sessions of specialist training with professional coachers per week
- 2 trips to London per week
- Staff-to-student ratio of approx. 1:5
- Maximum class size of 12 students (typically 10-11 students per class)
- Insurance and Airport transfers (Heathrow & Gatwick between 09:00-18:00 GMT)
Outside the classroom, students will improve language skills through a broad range of Sports and Creative Activities, which are carefully organised in a two-week rolling programme. The Academies/Activities in weeks 1 / 3 / 5 differ to weeks 2 / 4 / 6. The Multi Activity Course enables students to try out two different activities every week.
– Week 1 / 3 / 5
- Tennis Academy
- Basketball Academy
- Golf Academy*
- Climbing Academy*
- Multi-Activity Course
- Table Tennis
- Arts and Crafts
- Futsal/5-A-Side Football
- Touch Rugby
- Water polo
Week 2 / 4 / 6
- Football Academy
- Musical Theatre Academy
- Horse Riding Academy*
- Fencing Academy*
- Multi Activity Course
- Survival Skills
Horse Riding, Golf, Fencing and Rock Climbing Academies have an additional cost of £100 per week, and must be selected when making the booking.
In addition, there is a wide variety of evening and weekend activities, for example: Talent Shows, Discos, Karaoke Evenings, Fun & Games, Quiz Competitions, Cinema Trips, Bowling, etc.
Excursions are a vital part of the summer experience for international students to gain a cultural understanding of the UK alongside English language study. Students will have 2 trips to London each week to experience all that London has to offer. These trips are part of the syllabus, and are researched and prepared for in lessons. Linking these trips to lessons results in a more meaningful experience, and it will also create longer-lasting memories.
The possible choices are:
- Buckingham Palace
- Houses of Parliament
- West End Musicals
- London Zoo
- Natural History Museum
- Warner Bros (Harry Potter) Studios
- Hyde Park
- London Eye
- British Museum
- Thorpe Park
- Oxford Street
- Chelsea Football Club
The timetable below shows a typical weekly programme of Whitgift English in Action Summer Courses.
Students will stay in a new, state-of-the-art boarding house, all rooms with en-suite bathroom. The boarding house is situated overlooking the Water Gardens, which are home to exotic species such as flamingos and wallabies.
Girls and boys are accommodated separately. The staff members are staying in the same boarding house with the students, looking after them in the evenings and are on duty throughout the night.
Three freshly-cooked meals are provided a day with snacks in the afternoon. There is a menu of food choices, and we cater for different dietary requirements. Packed lunches are provided for excursions.
Outstanding sports facilities with modern, indoor Sports and Conference Centre, a 25-metre, variable-depth swimming pool, a fitness suite, a sports hall, and four glass-backed squash courts; TVs & common areas in boarding houses. Email and internet access is available, enabling our students to stay in touch with their families.
Laundry is done once a week. All bed linen is provided and is laundered once a week. Towels are not provided.
Whitgift School is an outstanding British independent school, currently educating approximately 1,500 boys aged 10 to 18. It’s founded in 1600, renowned for its first-class education, and a commitment to achieving the highest standard. The motto of Whitgift School is Vincit qui patitur (“He who perseveres, conquers”).
Whitgift is friendly, challenging and inclusive. Situated in 18 ha of beautiful parkland in South London, it has some of the finest facilities of any school in the UK. Successive inspections have ranked Whitgift amongst Britain’s finest schools.
Whitgift has a strong academic achievement. In 2017, at GCSE, 85% of all grades were at A* or A. Over half of all GCSE grades achieved were at A*. 22 pupils in the Upper Fifth Form achieved a clean sweep of A* grades. In total, 92 boys achieved all A*/A grades in their GCSE examinations. At A-Level, The A*-B rate for A Level was 88%. 44 pupils achieved straight A*/A grades. The A*-B rate for A Level and the International Baccalaureate Diploma combined was 89%. This leads to exceptional success in gaining places at top universities, including 31 to Oxford, Cambridge and London Universities combined. In all, over 70% of boys secured admission to their first-choice university, mostly at Russell Group universities.
While Whitgift School has one of the finest academic results in the country, it also affords substantial importance to co-curricular activities within the school life. This is reflected in the sporting facilities as well as an array of musical activities.